- Strong proficiency in English as well as Cantonese, Mandarin, Khmer, Korean, Spanish, Tagalog, and/or Vietnamese (must be a native speaker)
- Be mature and reliable – you must notify coordinators at least 48 hours in advance if you are unable to attend an event you signed up for (except for emergencies)
- Have interpersonal skills to interact and communicate effectively with patients and hospital staff
- Be able to commit for a year to attend events and translate documents
- Receive training through our fall semester Decal and spring semester workshops
- Participate in at least 10 hours of volunteering events per semester. New members begin to volunteer after they pass the first midterm, and they are not required to fulfill 10 hours during the first semester. If a language group does not have adequate events to meet this 10-hour requirement, language department coordinators will judge your membership based on how active you were in VHIO
- Membership is assessed on a yearly basis, you you may make up any missing hours from the fall semester by volunteering extra hours in the spring semester in order to be an active member
- Assist your respective language departments by working closely with the language department coordinators to coordinate translations and build partnerships.
- Participate in at least one social per semester
- Attend the beginning-of-the-year orientation.