- We serve as volunteer interpreters in health fairs and screenings located primarily in San Francisco and Oakland
- For example, we have helped with skin cancer and dementia screening with UCSF, helped student pharmacists to review medications in nursing homes, worked with pediatric patients at children’s health fairs, and collaborated with the SF Hep B Free campaign at events such as the Cherry Blossom Festival and Autumn Moon Festival
- We strive to assist with patient education and health services for a variety of health issues
- To help Cantonese- and Mandarin- speaking patients in clinics and health fairs at SF Chinatown, Oakland, and throughout the Bay Area
- Monthly hepatitis B clinic at Chinatown Public Health Center with the SF Hepatitis B Collaborative
- Health fairs
- Interpreting for primary care and wellness programs with the Asian Community Mental Health Services and Asian Health Services
- Presentations and workshops with the SRO community in the SRO-Community Health Initiative Project
- Document translations, including a book translation for the Chinese-American Coalition for Compassionate Care
- Cambodians have higher rates of PTSD due to genocide, and the Cambodian community has a need for language access to health care resources.
- The Khmer department of VHIO is committed to expanding these resources while building our language department established in August 2011.
- Collaborating with the Hep B Project to assess hepatitis B prevalence in the Cambodian community
- Translating information brochures, such as safety tips on how to avoid being a robbery victim
- Health fairs with Asian Community Mental Health Services
- Annual Tenderloin Community Health and Safety Fair
- Other outreach events
- To build lasting connections with the Korean-American community as well as a close-knit group of volunteers
- They are working on establishing more partnerships with local organizations
- Korean Community Health Services monthly mammogram clinics at Alta Bates Hospital
- Annual Korean Cancer Conference
- Annual 5k Health Walk
- Care Communications – primary care clinical interpretations through the phone for a non-profit clinic in San Jose
- Translating documents, brochures, and flyers for various organizations
- To offer volunteer services to under-served Spanish-speaking populations, primarily targeting clinics and health centers that are non-profit organizations
- Established in May of 2011, the Spanish department is working with returning and new volunteers; together, they are helping to shape the language group
- They are developing strong and sustainable connections with doctors, patients, and health providers to establish permanent and successful relationships with the community
- Street Level Health Project
- Women’s Cancer Research Center
- Health fairs
- To provide health and wellness services for medically under-served Tagalog speakers in the SF Bay Area and interpretation services to the working uninsured.
- The Tagalog department was established in August 2011 and is open to new suggestions for partnerships.
- Clinic by the Bay – San Francisco’s volunteer in medicine clinic
- Outreach events requiring assistance with Tagalog
- To promote health and wellness in the Vietnamese-American community and build lasting partnerships
- Vietnamese Community Center in Oakland – health fairs and monthly health presentations on breast cancer, hepatitis B, diabetes, etc.
- Health fairs in San Francisco
- Asian Health Services – monthly walking club, clinics, screenings, and other health related events